[katello-devel] Need tools to diagnose performance issues

Jeff Weiss jweiss at redhat.com
Thu Oct 25 18:06:52 UTC 2012

Starting this week, I've been seeing terrible performance issues in katello/master.

My test servers have a few dozen orgs, and deleting just one of them (with little or no content in it) sends a delayed-jobs thin process to 100% CPU for a solid 7 minutes.

There are also performance issues with sync and manifest upload and possibly every async job - where even with 3 delayed jobs processes, these actions are suddenly taking many times longer than they did last week.

Mike pointed out https://fedorahosted.org/katello/wiki/Profiling but I don't see how that is very useful since it doesn't seem to tell us which *Katello* classes are the bottleneck.  Maybe it's useful if you're developing Rails itself.  Or maybe it's configurable, I'm not sure.

However, when Mike tried it, it coredumped.

We're going to need some kind of story for profiling.  Otherwise performance issues are going to accumulate without any efficient means to diagnose and fix them.

-Jeff

--
Jeff Weiss
Principal Quality Assurance Engineer