[katello-devel] Join the package collection maintainers in Fedora

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Fri Oct 26 13:30:36 UTC 2012

Team,

after short chat with one folk, I realized the best way to learn
packaging, koji, dependencies and stuff is simply to join Fedora project
as package maintainer.

There is a very nice review process which teach everyone how to do
proper packages.

It's vital for our project, Katello, to have multiple package
maintainers in Fedora. Because when we add a dependency, there are
usually only 1, 2 or three packagers which has read-write access to the
dist-git. It's good to have more, e.g. Mirek is on PTO, I could also
have a rest and then - no way of bumping version or fixing a bug
in an upstream Fedora package.

Also more hands is also good. And the best is Fedora has very nice and
up-to-date documentation about processes, koji and stuff. You can't go
wrong by reading it.

If you want to try a package, please go and grab one of our development
ruby dependencies which are not in Fedora.

If you are not in the packager role, please give it a try. It's a fairly
long process (you need to prove your skills), but we all are willing to
help you to find your sponsor and get involved (e.g. by doing reviews).

Do not wait for tomorrow, read the wiki and join the package collection
maintainers - NOW!

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_package_collection_maintainers

LZ

 Lukas "lzap" Zapletal