[katello-devel] When does Puppet start

Innes, Duncan Duncan.Innes at virginmoney.com
Mon Oct 29 16:05:54 UTC 2012

Thanks Lukas,

I thought there was already some integration of Puppet beyond installing
Katello itself.  It's been a while since I've installed the package to
test/play around.

By "install kernel" I meant the ability to run any Puppet stuff during
the install phase - much like post-installation scripts on the current
Satellite platform.

Gives us the ability to harden a server before it first boots, but I can
see Puppet being too much a nightmare to have running before the first
boot.

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 13:53PM, Zapletal Lukas wrote:
> Katello does not support Foreman yet, therefore our Puppet
> codebase is currently only for installing Katello itself.
>
> What you mean by install kernel?
>
> We will use Puppet the way it is integrated in Foreman. Have
> a look at www.theforeman.org to see how it works.
>
> Basically, puppet is usually integrated in the kickstart
> file. During the first boot, it negotiates SSL certificates
> with the puppet master and then makes initial configuration.
> Then you run it either from cron or using a daemon to
> re-apply the configuration over and over again.
>
> LZ
>
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 10:53:41AM -0000, Innes, Duncan wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Hopefully this isn't an entirely stupid question. I'm trying to find

> > out where Puppet will start processing during the whole build phase
in
> > Katello.
> >
> > Is there anything of Puppet running during the install kernel?  It
> > would be neat if it does as that would enable machines to be fully
> > configured on first boot.  But I can see the scope of Puppet being
> > large enough to avoid running it in the install kernel.  What
> > direction has Puppet integration taken?
> >
> > If there's any good documentation on the process that I can read,
I'm