[katello-devel] Running katello-configure after katello-upgrade

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Tue Oct 30 13:02:03 UTC 2012

Hello,

I already slightly touched this topic, but I want to bring it again.

Our upgrade instructions are pretty simple:

https://fedorahosted.org/katello/wiki/Upgrade

In short:

1) yum upgrade
2) review rpmnew files (but do not rewrite current configuration) **
3) katello-upgrade
4) optional step: do katello-configure --anser-file=...

The topic I want to bring in are steps 2 and 4. We distribute new
default versions of configuration files which are stored as rpmnew by
yum. Traditional approach is to review the changes and incorporate them.
But in our case, some files are substantially different and changes made
by katello-configure are hard to incorporate.

I recommend to make the step 4 required, so after successful upgrade,
user is asked to run katello-configure to redeploy all the config files.
Thank to this, step 2 can be safely skipped for katello configuration
files deleting all the rpmnew files - this step will be only necessary
for system files.

The second approach could be just to ask user to do manual incorporation
which can be really messy, lot of work and users tend to make mistakes
here. And since we have the configuration recipes available in our
katello-configure (in Puppet), I don't see the reason why would we ask
to do this.

Therefore I recommend to make step 4 required and still ask user to do
his own review in step 2 (but asking not to overwrite katello-related
files). I have modified our upgrade wiki in this way.

I am also doing configuration files review between versions, I want to
make this part of our standard Katello upgrade process, so we can
discuss the changes before each release.

Opinions?

** - there has been some confusion due to poorly documented step no. 2
but I rewrote this part of the upgrade guide on the wiki

 Lukas "lzap" Zapletal
 #katello #systemengine