[katello-devel] Demotions and deletions - solution

Brad Buckingham bbuckingham at redhat.com
Wed Sep 5 14:20:51 UTC 2012

On 09/05/2012 09:07 AM, Justin Sherrill wrote:
> On 09/03/2012 06:16 AM, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
>>> Solution 2: Fix during creation time
>>>
>>> Solution 2A: Nicer error message.
>>>
>>> Solution 2B: Nicer error message + 1C
>>>
>> Solution 2C: Introduce katello id in the candlepin label flag.
>>
>> Currently the format of our label flag is:
>>
>> Oragnization_name-Product_name-Repo_name
>>
>> we could do something like
>>
>> ID-Oragnization_name-Product_name-Repo_name
>>
>> Label need to be unique because yum use it to create file names and
>> repository ids I guess.
>>
>> We would allow to create repositories with the same name effectively,
>> but we already allow users to register systems with same name (this
>> behavior was introduced on Friday).
> I don't like this.  This means if Foo was already in DEV but deleted
> in library, they could create another repository Foo and promote it to
> Dev (As long as the label was different?).  So they would have 2 Foo
> repos in Dev?
>
> -1  for me.
>
> -Justin

[brad] I am also not really in favor of 2C.

Since a user cannot re-create a repo with the same name as one that is
in another environment, I still lean towards a solution based on 1A
(i.e. Deletion Prohibited) because it will keep them from getting in to
that situation.  In addition, if they are aware of that constraint, they
might prefer to simply create the repo by a different name.

In email on Friday, I proposed a solution (which essentially is similar
to 1A).  The following is that proposal modified based on Mike's reply
(refer to his email 08/31/2012 05:24 PM EST) for full details:

1. If the user attempts to delete a repo (from providers screen) and the
repo was not previously promoted, allow the deletion to occur.  (This is
also today's behavior.)

2. If the user attempts to delete a repo (from providers screen) and the
repo was previously promoted:

       a. Do not allow the repo to be deleted.  In order to support this,

           i. Disable the 'remove' link so the user doesn't have the
option.
              Add a tipsy next to the remove link that when hovered the
user
              can be given information on 'why' the remove link is
disabled.
              (e.g. "Before removing this repo from the product, it must
first
              be deleted from the following environments using a deletion
              changeset: A, B, C.")