[katello-devel] Demotions and deletions - solution

Dmitri Dolguikh dmitri at redhat.com
Fri Sep 7 16:38:58 UTC 2012

On 05/09/12 04:16 PM, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 10:20:51AM -0400, Brad Buckingham wrote:
>> In email on Friday, I proposed a solution (which essentially is
>> similar to 1A).  The following is that proposal modified based on
>> Mike's reply (refer to his email 08/31/2012 05:24 PM EST) for full
>> details:
>>
>> 1. If the user attempts to delete a repo (from providers screen) and
>> the repo was not previously promoted, allow the deletion to occur.
>> (This is also today's behavior.)
>>
>> 2. If the user attempts to delete a repo (from providers screen) and
>> the repo was previously promoted:
>>
>>        a. Do not allow the repo to be deleted.  In order to support this,
>>
>>            i. Disable the 'remove' link so the user doesn't have the
>> option.
>>               Add a tipsy next to the remove link that when hovered
>> the user
>>               can be given information on 'why' the remove link is
>> disabled.
>>               (e.g. "Before removing this repo from the product, it
>> must first
>>               be deleted from the following environments using a deletion
>>               changeset: A, B, C.")
> Ok, I can take this approach.
>
> Actually it's the most simple one, I like that.

First of all, apologies for re-opening this thread.

I think if the user is using providers screen to delete a repository,
the intention is to completely get rid of it, otherwise they would've
deleted the repository using a changeset. Also, if we don't provide a
way to exterminate a given repo, the task of doing that can get very
tedious, given sufficient number of environments that the repository was
promoted to.

With this in mind:
   1. If the user attempts to delete a repo (from providers screen) and
the repo was not previously promoted, allow the deletion to occur. (This
is also today's behavior.)

   2. If the user attempts to delete a repo (from providers screen) and
the repo was previously promoted.
     a. Show a confirmation dialog, warning the user that the repository
will be deleted from all environments
     b. Delete repository from all environments if the user chooses to
proceed.

-d