[katello-devel] date and time on sync plan creation page

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Thu Sep 13 07:49:23 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 12:57:22PM +0100, Dmitri Dolguikh wrote:
> Hey everybody, apologies if this is a duplicate, my email client is
> behaving strangely...
>
> Came across of this bit of code in SyncPlansController#convert_date_time:
>
>     sync_event = date + ' ' + time + ' '  + DateTime.now.zone
>
> We cannot assume that the server and the client reside in the same
> timezone - the end result of this is the client has no idea when (or
> what day for that matter) the sync is going to be executed. We have
> a similar issue when showing sync plan times too.
>
> Timezone information has to come from the client. When showing time
> back to the client, we either: have to convert it to their time
> zone, or show it relative to UTC.
>
> Should I add a story to the backlog for this?

When you say 'client' you mean CLI?

AFAIK we deal with timezones in the CLI. And if you send the time
information also with timezone, then we show it correctly. So what you
see is correct - did you test it against CLI? Does it show the correct
information?

 Lukas "lzap" Zapletal
 #katello #systemengine