[katello-devel] Pulpv2 migration, displaying/tracking dependencies important?

Pradeep Kilambi pkilambi at redhat.com
Fri Sep 14 14:42:41 UTC 2012

On 09/14/2012 09:18 AM, Todd Sanders wrote:
> On 09/13/2012 06:00 PM, Justin Sherrill wrote:
>>

>> Pulpv2's depedency solving is much better and automatic than what we
>> had in pulpv1.  It does not, however, provide a way to easily
>> pre-calculate what packages were added as dependencies (or determine
>> that after the fact).
>>
>> Within katello today we pre-calcuate these ourselves (with pulp's
>> help) and save them.  This allows us to:
>>
>> 1. display them to the user prior to hitting promote
>> 2. have the added dependencies available in the changeset history for
>> historical purposes.
>>
>> Currently pulpv2 does not provide a way to do either of these. How
>> important are these two things?
>>
>> I'm thinking that #1 would be difficult to implement as pulpv2 is
>> now, but I'm not sure about #2 (jdob might be able to chime in). Mike
>> and I were thinking of simply dropping these two things from katello
>> but wanted to get wider input.
>>
>> -Justin
>
> Let me chat with Prad/Jay about this.  Being able to present a list of
> added dependent packages seems like a necessary requirement.  I need
> to understand more about why this was dropped in v2.
>
> -Todd

You should be able to achieve this in pulp v2 today. Change your
workflow to the following,

* Invoke the resolve_deps api call
(/repositories/actions/resolve_dependencies/$) for units you would like
to get deps . The data structure returned here should be pretty close
whats in v1. This is the info you would store and display to the user
prior to promote.

* When you're ready to do the promotion(copy in pulp v2 terms), invoke
the copy api with resolve_dependencies flag turned off. This is only
copy the units you pass in and not do any additional dep solving .

Hope this helps,

~ Prad