[katello-devel] ActiveResource-based Foreman client in Katello

Eric Helms ehelms at redhat.com
Thu Sep 20 12:26:49 UTC 2012

On 09/20/2012 08:16 AM, Ivan Nečas wrote:
> On 09/20/2012 01:51 PM, Bryan Kearney wrote:
>> On 09/20/2012 06:41 AM, Dmitri Dolguikh wrote:
>>> As promised, I added a short page to Katello wiki on
>>> ActiveResource-based Foreman API that can be found at [1].
>>> -d
>>>
>>> [1] https://fedorahosted.org/katello/wiki/ArForemanModel

>> What was the outcome from the discussion yesterday?
> Some additional information that came out from the discussion:
>
> - there will be no external gem providing the client bindings that
> could Foreman community use and contribute
I liked that one of the original outcomes of the first approach was a
contribution to the community as a whole with regards to a gem that
provided ruby bindings to the Foreman API. We are going down the same
road for the Pulp V2 work. That being said, is it not possible or would
the implementation be so highly custom that having a gem done the
ActiveResource way make no sense?
> - it's not very likely that this approach will be possible from
> Candlepin/Pulp, it's Foreman only
GIven this, how much does this switch over and/or current approach
deviate from how we do things at the API, Glue and Model layers? There
is a big win for integrating our backend services in a consistent manner
with regards to how the layers integrate and how we use the services
from the perspective of developers and being DRY. Further, if we are
doing something unique in the realm of backend service integration with
a web framework then we should latch on to that, be consistent and tout it.