[katello-devel] Ruby 1.9 support

David Davis daviddavis at redhat.com
Tue Sep 25 14:03:53 UTC 2012

I believe the ruby-debug19 gem works with 1.9.2 but not 1.9.3. The maintainer hasn't updated ruby-debug19 for over a year so if you try to use it, it'll complain about not having the right headers when you try to compile the gem (http://pastebin.com/ePatRx12).

The debugger gem is a fork of ruby-debug19 that is made to work with 1.9.3. From the README for debugger (https://github.com/cldwalker/debugger):

REASON FOR FORK
- ruby-debug19 maintainer isn't maintaining:
  - Despite patches from ruby core, no gem release in 2+ years! - 9/1/09.
  - Requests to release a known working 1.9.3 version have been ignored.
  - Doesn't respond to rubyforge issues and doesn't have github issues open.
- Current install is painful. Requires either manually downloading gems from rubyforge and installing with compiler flags or recompiling ruby.
- We need a decent ruby debugger for future rubies!

There is a hack/script that'll install a version of ruby-debug19 from rubyforge that works with 1.9.3:

https://raw.github.com/gist/1333785

And I know there's probably some other forks of ruby-debug19 that'll probably work as well. However, I think the debugger gem is probably the most popular fork.

David