[katello-devel] Codebase Split-up

Eric D Helms ericdhelms at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 17:36:29 UTC 2013

The idea of splitting our codebase up into more logical repositories has
come about again as we head towards our 1.3 release.  This is a topic that
we have broached in the past, see
https://www.redhat.com/archives/katello-devel/2012-August/msg00243.html

The potential places for splitting out repos:

cli/
agent/
certs-tools/
katello-configure/
katello-utils/
selinux/
repos/
src/ (a.k.a Katello)

The direct benefits I see:

- Travis can run smaller focused test suites and run faster (mostly for the
CLI (python based) and the Web App (ruby based))
- Clearer distinction about where a particular chunk of code lives (e.g.
configuration lives with katello-configure)
- Cleaner distinction between the application itself and the tooling that
surrounds it

Please add comments, concerns, justifications for or against as well as
ideas on how we'd tackle parts like packaging.

-Eric