[katello-devel] Codebase Split-up

Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden ewoud+katello at kohlvanwijngaarden.nl
Sat Apr 6 10:26:40 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 05, 2013 at 02:02:23PM -0400, Jay Dobies wrote:
> One suggestion. When we did it, two new repos were created and stuff
> picked out of the initial repo and copied over. That ended up losing
> all of the git history and making annotate show Mike's name for
> every file.
>
> Instead, try adding each repo as a new remote and pushing a full
> copy into each, then pruning off what you don't need. That should
> maintain the history and annotate.

Git already has a great tool for this and github has a very easy help
page for it.

https://help.github.com/articles/splitting-a-subpath-out-into-a-new-repository

This will give you a very clean history for just the CLI.

git clone git://github.com/Katello/katello.git katello-cli
cd katello-cli
git filter-branch --prune-empty --subdirectory-filter cli master

Then you'd push it to https://github.com/katello/katello-cli for
something similar.

For katello itself (the original repo) I'd recommend just a git rm -r so
you'll retain your history because otherwise you will force everone to
rebase, pull requests will require lots of effort etc.