[katello-devel] Codebase Split-up

Petr Chalupa pchalupa at redhat.com
Mon Apr 8 11:12:24 UTC 2013

Personally, I would keep one repository, for reasons mentioned by Mirek
and Jan. I would also like to have only one issues. There is also a
issue of compatibility:
- it won't be clear anymore which versions will work together
- a developer can easily have checkouted wrong versions
- pull-requests fixing a bug in two different repositories depending on
each other will create incompatible window when one is merged

On 05.04.13 19:36, Eric D Helms wrote:
> The idea of splitting our codebase up into more logical repositories has
> come about again as we head towards our 1.3 release.  This is a topic
> that we have broached in the past, see
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/katello-devel/2012-August/msg00243.html
>
> The potential places for splitting out repos:
>
> cli/
> agent/
> certs-tools/
> katello-configure/
> katello-utils/
> selinux/
> repos/
> src/ (a.k.a Katello)
>
> The direct benefits I see:
>
> - Travis can run smaller focused test suites and run faster (mostly for
> the CLI (python based) and the Web App (ruby based))

AFAIK Travis cannot run more tests over one repository, but we could
check if last commit changed source in a directory (e.g. cli/) and skip
tests from the directory.

> - Clearer distinction about where a particular chunk of code lives (e.g.
> configuration lives with katello-configure)
> - Cleaner distinction between the application itself and the tooling
> that surrounds it

Since this is mainly about organization of our code, we could improve it
inside one repository:
- better directory structure
- better documentation what is what
- define some rules what goes where
- cleanup or unify scripts and src/scripts
- etc.

I think separate repos would make sense if they were developed
separately as sub-projects but this is not our case.

Petr