[katello-devel] Codebase Split-up

Justin Sherrill jsherril at redhat.com
Mon Apr 8 13:27:07 UTC 2013

On 04/08/2013 08:56 AM, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> On 04/08/2013 02:43 PM, Justin Sherrill wrote:
>> You're saying that dead code & scripts don't linger in huge source repos
>> for years?
>
> Of course it can linger here and there. And it will happen in both cases.
> I'm saying that there is higher chance to discover the dead code if it
> located in one main git repo.
>

>> I would argue its actually easier to review code when spread across
>> multiple repos because you can easily identify something like
>> rail-restapi.git when its in the list of repos than if its in
>> katello.gi/src/vendor/plugins/  or whatever.  Would you have noticed it
> > quicker if it was there?
>
> No, I would not notice it. Because if it would be in
> /src/vendor/plugins, then it would be bundled code. And that's even
> bigger evil.
> But I would for sure noticed it sooner if it would be in
> katello.git/rail-restapi.git. Or in any path specified in
> rel-eng/packages/*

So you're saying that whoever brought this in originally shouldn't have
put in a separate git repo, but they shouldn't have put it bundled in
the katello repo because that's a 'bigger evil'?  What should they have
done?  What should i do if I need to bring in a fork of some 3rd party
library?  No idea why this repo was created originally, but 3rd party
forked reops make perfect sense where this one was (maybe we just need
to keep better documentation around them)

>> we only have 1 'katello' repo.
>
> Sadly, we already have 26 git repos under Katello umbrella.

On https://github.com/Katello  they have labels that allow you to select
from 'forks', 'source repos', and other filters.  Clicking on 'sources'
should show just a few repos of repos that we are the upstream
maintainers for, however there are 12 foreman git repos that do not look
like they were forked properly and show up in our 'sources' list.  We
should fix that and then you would only see seven repos by my count:

runcible
katello
signo
converge-ui (which can be deleted)
foreman-katello-engine (should this be with foreman?)
trebuchet
trebuchet-mount
katello-website

I think it makes sense to add to the list:

katello-installer
katello-cli
katello-selinux

-Justin