[katello-devel] Codebase Split-up

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Mon Apr 8 16:33:55 UTC 2013

On 04/08/2013 03:27 PM, Justin Sherrill wrote:
> So you're saying that whoever brought this in originally shouldn't have
> put in a separate git repo, but they shouldn't have put it bundled in
> the katello repo because that's a 'bigger evil'?  What should they have
> done?  What should i do if I need to bring in a fork of some 3rd party
> library?  No idea why this repo was created originally, but 3rd party
> forked reops make perfect sense where this one was (maybe we just need
> to keep better documentation around them)

Forked repo makes perfect sense if we are not upstream and we need to do
some modification to that code.

But if we are upstream, then I think it is better to have it in one git
repo.

I'm not sure if you understood my meaning of "bundled".
Having some code in katello.git/foo and having it packaged separately is
not bundling. It is just one package or project which is in one git repo
together with closely related packages/projects.

By bundling I meant putting apipie under katello.git/src/vendor as you
said in previous email.
Bundled is for example
ui_alchemy-rails.git/vendor/assets/javascripts/alchemy/jquery-ui-1.8.11.custom
This is what I called 'bigger evil'. For example such package should
never be included in Fedora for reasons stated here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:No_Bundled_Libraries

Mirek

--
Miroslav Suchy