[katello-devel] Splitting Katello in half

Eric D Helms ericdhelms at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 13:19:15 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 8:29 AM, Dmitri Dolguikh <dmitri at redhat.com> wrote:

>  On 2013-04-10 10:07 AM, Petr Chalupa wrote:
>
> Starting thread about splitting up Katello As I've mentioned in repo-split
> thread.
>
> I think that Katello is starting to be big and messy. I would like to
> split it into two sub-projects UI and core with API in future.
>
> UI would use API as CLI does and it could be written in AngularJS. We are
> already playing with it in nuTupane and Alchemy, why not to go all the way?
>
> Smaller projects are easier to maintain/develop, adding new features is
> faster which is what we want :)
>
> What do you think?
>
> Petr

> I think the concept is sound. Unfortunately it's a a lot of changes on
> the UI side (not sure how much code could be salvaged/moved to the new UI
> implementation). I think in order for this to be accepted by the
> management, an approach where the new and old UI can coexist and individual
> screens are being converted one-by-one is needed.

Agree here.  I don't think we could do a whole-hog change over either, but
if we set our sights upon and agree it is the long term goal then we can
make tweaks and changes along the way towards that end. As well as making
all new functionality going forward adhere to this principle.

> Another thing you don't mention in your reasons for the change is that
> pure-js UIs are testable (or are significantly easier to test).

+1 from my recent experiences with building angular based views and
components, testing from a unit test standpoint is much easier