[katello-devel] Manifest Import Speedup proposal

Marek Hulan mhulan at redhat.com
Fri Feb 8 11:44:41 UTC 2013

On Friday 08 of February 2013 12:11:16 Lukas Zapletal wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 04:07:27PM -0500, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> > >Thoughts?
> >
> > Sounds like a good improvement.
>
> Yeah, I like that. Why we don't do this from the day one?
>
> Please note we have a backround job run from cron, which updates CDN
> content every day (I guess). The task is called cdn refresh, but I was
> not able to grep it today :-)
>
> It would be nice if this task would automatically refresh everything. I
> think it is ok when system is refreshing for 10 minutes each night, so
> it could do this for all reporitories (not just for enabled ones). This
> could speed up enablement next day, because data would be already there.
>
> Nice.
Hey all

I recently worked on this part. The cron Lukas mentioned was added in commit
06b352511b398e072e67295484d80ec34844750e however for some reason I cannot find
that cron script installed on any machine with katello. So if you rely on cron
script to refresh as Lukas suggests make sure it's installed.

I think your new concept is good improvement and I can't think of any problems
with implementation. Feel free to ping me if you think I can help you with
anything regarding manifest import process.

--
Marek