[katello-devel] tracking and reporting user actions

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Mon Feb 11 10:43:29 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 10:00:08AM -0500, Tom McKay wrote:
> As a katello user or admin, I would like to see a history of katello actions performed and who performed them.

This is called audit and it's on the backlog.

> With all this talk of shiny new features and foreman integration, I
> don't want the fact that katello needs a lot of smoothing of edges to
> be lost on us. When things go wrong, it is currently challenging even
> by experienced users to know where to start.

Even experienced users are unable to recover, I can tell you.

I think you are trying to cover two things. Audit tells you who, what
and when and it's for auditing purposes. While we would also like to
have something more technical for better recovery from failed states.

I made the first step in integrating session ids in the orchestration
log. You as an administrator can grep it and see what happened in the
orchestration code.

Having a self-service app for inspecting orchestration (messages) is my
ultimate plan for new generation of our orchestration. That would allow
administrators and users to investigate message flow allowing them to
re-trigger failed messages. Since Katello is multi-tenant app, this kind
of self-service would be great benefit. Note this is something different
than audit, it's much more fine-grained with content of all messages.

 Lukas "lzap" Zapletal
 #katello #systemengine