[katello-devel] Thinking about NuTupane Architecture

Jason Rist jrist at redhat.com
Thu Jan 3 16:00:10 UTC 2013

There comes a time when you realize you didn't design something very
well the first time and it needs to be refactored so that it's better
from a UI/UX perspective, but also better from a development
perspective.  We've got designs already here
https://fedorahosted.org/katello/wiki/Foreman%20Integration
and
https://fedorahosted.org/katello/wiki/Organization
that approximate what we're going for on the design side, but don't take
into consideration the architecture of how we're planning on developing
them.

This is a solicitation for advice and input on how we might best design
this.  Things to keep in consideration:
1.) We'll want to be able to make a single change that is visible on
every page that utilizes NuTupane.
2.) We'll want to be able to override individual settings for special cases.
3.) We'll want to integrate search functionality and fancyqueries search
saving as we do now.
4.) We'll want to consider batch actions for everything from the
beginning and be able to disable based on permissions or where not
applicable.
5.) We'll want to disable individual components of the NuTupane based on
permissions or where not applicable.

Based on experience, it'd be ideal if much of this is done in the
controller and the view is sort of dumb so that we can avoid logic and
business type rules in the view.

Help?

Thanks,
Jason E. Rist