[katello-devel] UX improvements: default values

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Wed Jun 12 12:54:15 UTC 2013

On 06/12/2013 08:07 AM, Ivan Necas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So I've started dogfooding process with Katello & Foreman for my devel setup. You can expect
> more user related topics coming from my side from now on.
>
> The first thing that's kind of unfriendly is lack of default values in UI. Typical example
> is changesets. Every time I promote I have to enter some uniq value for the changeset.
> Although some users might prefer to describe the changeset with the name, I believe
> the majority will just push some random value there.
>
> What about trying to guess the default value (as changeset-{timestamp}), that user can change
> when needed (something like checklist in trello is default set to 'items' when creating it).
>
> A similar case might be repo names for custom products. If I have a product with just one repo,
> I tent to call it 'base' or something. It would be nice that something would be there by default.
>
> -- Ivan

Please feel free to call this over-engineering. I like the idea, but I
bet it will be something that folks want to custommize. So, please make
it easy to change. Perhaps we have a property driven default system
which I can set and has simple tag replacements. So I could do:

fred-%{timestamp}
fred-%{uuid}
fred-%{date}

etc. Note, it should not be arbitrary ruby code :)

-- bk