[katello-devel] Signo and shared user management

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Thu Jun 20 18:40:57 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 08:40:15AM -0400, Tom McKay wrote:
> As I've mentioned to "those in charge," I feel strongly that the
> architecture of having Katello and Foreman as separate code bases is a
> mistake. One of the products should "win" and the others' begin to be
> folded into it in a nice software engineering sort of way (engines or
> such). Signo was a bandaid for single sign on for two separate tools;
> can their be serious discussions about the reasons why we would wish
> to continue to keep them separate code?

Feeling is right (I have the same), but reality is very different in the
open-source environment. We are not building big monolithic blocks, we
are picking up the best open source technologies, adding features,
fixing and testing in a collaborative way into a product.

One simply cannot throw away a living community and take the code,
rewrite it and turn two projects into one. That's simply not feasible
and we need to live with that.

Integration is not easy, but possible. When done right, it works
seamlessly.

 Lukas "lzap" Zapletal
 irc: lzap #theforeman