[katello-devel] Cross fedora version upgrades

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Mon Mar 18 11:37:02 UTC 2013

On 03/15/2013 11:33 PM, Justin Sherrill wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> With the upcoming Katello 1.3 release we are only support RHEL 6 &
> Fedora 18, which means this is the first katello release that does not
> continue support across a single Fedora version (Previously fedora
> 16).   Katello 1.2 was released with upgrade instructions, but they did
> not cover upgrading from Fedora 16 to Fedora 17 (so i am going to assume
> it was not supported or tested).  So keep in mind today that we really
> do not have an official policy on upgrading across fedora versions.
>
> Due to the volatile nature of Fedora upgrades (especially going from
> fedora 16 to fedora 18 which uses two different upgrade mechanisms), I
> am proposing to only support upgrades to from Katello 1.2 to 1.3 on RHEL 6.
>
> What are people's thoughts on that?
>

> Katello 1.3 is somewhat special in that katello 1.2 and 1.3 do not share
> a fedora version in common, but going forward what are thoughts around
> either:
>
> a) Not supporting upgrades on fedora at all, only supported on RHEL 6
> and CentOS 6.
> b) Not supporting upgrades from/to different versions of fedora (i.e.
> Katello 1.X to 1.Y is supported on Fedora N, but not from N to N+1)
> c) Only supporting upgrades from/to different versions of fedora via
> backup/import of data and certs.

<quibbler>
	We are not supporting anything :)
</quibbler>

Yes we have to support upgrades on RHEL6. I would suggest to not
explicitly test CentOS unless there is direct report that it differ from
RHEL6 - i.e. that something is broken on Centos while it work on RHEL.

I would like to have keep at least one Fedora version in common in
future. And threat this upgrade as exception.
And upgrade from Katello 1.2 to 1.3 support using backup/restore. And
try to promise that in future we will do our best to have one version in
common.

--
Miroslav Suchy
Red Hat Systems Management Engineering