[katello-devel] Current state of RHEL6 Nightly

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Tue Mar 19 11:46:22 UTC 2013

Hey,

as you may noticed, I have been working on getting SCL packages into
RHEL6 nightly and migrating our package on SCL Ruby 1.9 stack. This was
finished this morning, the current nightly does install on SCL stack and
bring packages prefixed with ruby193 now.

The katello and katello-jobs services now uses ruby 1.9 as well as other
scripts from /usr/share/katello/script. The migration is not finished
tho. Mirek is still working on Foreman, therefore expect an installation
error during katello-configure.

Even when Mirek finishes his work, SCL support in RHEL6 will not be
perfect. There will be things that will still run on ruby 1.8 (and thus
not working) - I can picture katello-upgrade for example. If you hit any
issue (a script is trying to start with /usr/bin/ruby which will not be
required soon), you need to change shebang. See katello.spec for that.

Also I noticed Justin is preparing the 1.3 release and I made this
mistake of merging this SCL effort into the master. I would like to ask
Justin and Mirek what is the best plan now in regard to this release -
do we have enough time to complete Foreman SCL migration and release 1.3
or should we maybe turn SCL off for a while, release 1.3 and then turn
it back on?

Opinions? Comments?

 Lukas "lzap" Zapletal
 #katello #systemengine