[katello-devel] Signo improvements discussion

Garik Khachikyan gkhachik at redhat.com
Mon May 6 13:07:15 UTC 2013

On 06/05/13 14:59, Justin Sherrill wrote:
> [...]
>>> some other
>>> features. Here is the list to discuss:
>>>
>>> # Application information
>>>
>>> We could display information about from which application user is
>>> coming to
>>> Signo, so he knows what is he logging in to. Note that user might
>>> get false
>>> idea that he is logging just into Katello however logging into Signo
>>> means
>>> also logging in into Foreman. Garik suggested displaying name, version,
>>> favicon and logo from that application you are coming from so it
>>> would look
>>> like as Katello login page (for Katello). What do others think? This
>>> would
>>> also mean for every external application to be supported in Signo
>>> (to display
>>> its graphics to avoid remote linking https problems etc.). I would
>>> find useful
>>> just to display name of the application that you came from. Also we
>>> should
>>> keep in mind security and possibility of forging this information.
>>>
>>> # Logout page
>>>
>>> Logout in Katello shows logout page that informs you about
>>> successful logout
>>> and displaying you a link to login again. Garik suggested to remove
>>> this page
>>> so user does not have to click link in order to login again. It
>>> would mean to
>>> go to Signo login page again with no notification of logout. I don't
>>> think
>>> users are logging out and in too often so I would leave that link
>>> there even
>>> when logout page itself has small information value. Comments? FYI
>>> on Foreman
>>> side there is no logout page so user is redirected to casual login
>>> page. He
>>> may login to foreman to enter any other foreman url. That's more or
>>> less 3rd
>>> possible way.
>>
>> No Opinions.
>>

>>> # Katello - configurable login page
>>>
>>> We now force users to use Signo if it's set in katello.yml and
>>> fallback to
>>> plain login form only if OpenID auth fails. However user may want to
>>> decide
>>> which way he wants to use. Either SSO via Signo or plain login form.
>>> This
>>> could work and be configurable until we extract user logic from
>>> Katello to
>>> Signo. Again do we want to allow users to decide or "we know
>>> better"? :-)
>>>
>>> If you have any other ideas what could make users confused or what
>>> to improve,
>>> please reply.
>>>

> I'm not sure eventually if it makes sense for katello to provide its
> own login page?  If katello as a project is going to use Signo by
> default why not remove our own login form?

It makes sense - at least for me as a user when I type:
https://<hostname>/katello I expect to see some home page specific to
that project (Katello for my case) - and not a general "yellow key" with
some text and login form. It will not provide me enough confidence to
enter my login/password there.

If we consider the enterprise version of Katello - it even would make
more sense to add there specific logo, text and version info.

Usually the home pages of each product/site are the first impression one
gets visiting to that page.
Showing the recent UI that we have now ...hm, not looks as the best
choice from my POV.

Garik