[katello-devel] registering to Library

Tom McKay thomasmckay at redhat.com
Tue May 14 17:58:40 UTC 2013

I've just merged a pull-request [1] to allow registering systems to Library.

For katello, registering to Library will mean that all content sync'ed down will be accessible to the system.

For headpin, the implications are broader. Since headpin only proxies content directly from the CDN, environments had little value other than a way to organize them. With this change, there will only ever be the Library environment in headpin, but system groups are now available. This will hopefully keep the notion of both environments and groups consistent between katello and headpin.

A migration script is in the works to update legacy headpin installs.
1) All systems moved to Library env
2) A system group will be made for each existing env
3) Systems will be added to appropriate system group
4) All users with a default system registration env will have that changed to Library
5) All activation keys will be switched to Library
6) RFE for the backlog: Allow system groups to be assigned to activation keys.

Partha and I will be working on the migration script.
Partha is going to confirm that katello systems in Library get proper content.
I am going to adjust the CLI for new headpin style as well as confirm that there are no katello issues.

Let us know if you have any questions.

[1] https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/2273