[katello-devel] Commit Messages

jesus rodriguez jesusr at redhat.com
Wed May 15 19:32:59 UTC 2013

On 05/14/2013 09:24 AM, David Davis wrote:
> As a user of git log and git shortlog, I was going to bring this up too. I see a lot of people going over 70 characters for the short message in commit messages. The git tools are really based around a short message and long message and this makes it hard to read commits in git log and git shortlog. Also, I think we should limit the short message to 50 chars which is what Linus and other git gurus recommend. More information below.
>
> http://tbaggery.com/2008/04/19/a-note-about-git-commit-messages.html
> https://github.com/torvalds/subsurface/blob/master/README#L231
>
> Regarding adding components though, I think it's generally a good idea as well. I would prefer to move to colons which Linus uses in his example (and it's also one char shorter) but dashes are fine too.

+1 to using : instead of -. On candlepin we use the bugnumber following
by a colon. dashes tend to use 3 characters since most folks precede
them with a space where as the colon usually uses 2 (: plus a space
afterwards).

Why is this worth it? you're preceding the commit with a component
already so every character counts.

-1 to requiring 50 characters, that will lead to twitter like messages:

fx spc tsts :D

jesus
jesus m. rodriguez          | jesusr at redhat.com
principal software engineer | irc: zeus
red hat systems management  | 919.754.4413 (w)
rhce # 805008586930012      | 919.623.0080 (c)
|   "Those who cannot remember the past       |
|    are condemned to repeat it."             |
|                        -- George Santayana  |