RE: coping files off the CD.

Regarding adding your own rpm to the installation...

You need to update the hdlist file in .../Redhat/base/hdlist with
/usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/genhdlist

You might like to read
http://imsb.au.dk/~mok/linux/doc/RedHat-CD-5.html. It
is a bit dated, but still very informative on how to update the CD image
(even
if you are leaving it, as I do, on an nfs kickstart server).