Re: rpm4.0.4 statically linked - why ?

On Thu, 2002-04-18 at 18:50, Ian Mortimer wrote:
> > I see that the rpm4.0.3 that came with rh72 is dynamically linked but the
> > 4.0.4 update is statically linked and 9MB+ bigger in size as a result.
> >
> > Anybody know why that change was made and what value it adds ?  I'd sure
> > like to see it dynamically linked due to the size issue.
>
> I don't know the official reason but one obvious reason would be
> to reduce rpm's dependencies.

Roughly, anything that lives in /bin or /sbin, that could possibly be
needed to "fix" the system should be statically linked.

Obviously, this could be taken to a rediculous extreme, but I do count
rpm as a "required to work even if shared libs don't" type tool.

--
Hunter Matthews                          Unix / Network Administrator
Office: BioScience 145/244               Duke Univ. Biology Department