Correct way to make devices

Hello,

I have a kernel with one of our own drivers added as a module.
I need to have a /dev/ entry. I put a suitable file in /etc/makedev.d and
running /dev/MAKEDEV by hand creates the /dev entry as expected.

I thought that kickstart might take care of all device creation at installation
but it does not make mine.

How is this best handled? When is /dev/MAKEDEV run?

TIA.

--
Ian Leonard
eMail: ileonard ntlworld com

Please ignore spelling and punctuation - I did.