Re: behavior of rpm --replacepkgs

Not to big of a problem...

What you need to do is have a script that does something like this:

queries all the rpms on your system
queries all the rpms you have available to update

compares the two hashes to see which ones are already installed.

After you have a list of those that need updating and need installed, your script could rpm -Uvh those packages.

If you want something made already, take a look at GRAB.. it's nicer than apt because you don't have to have a specially configured repository.

http://www.runlevelzero.net/greg/grab/

James

Skahan, Vince wrote:
I'm cooking up a custom installer/updater that is
intended to:
 - add rpms needing adding
 - update rpms needing updating
 - do nothing to rpms already present

I know that I can 'rpm -F' to freshen/update only the rpms that
need updating to a newer version, and do nothing to rpms that
are already installed.

I know I can 'rpm -i' to install new rpms, but it blows up if you give
it a list of rpms that contains something already present on the system.

What I'd like to do is pass a long list of rpms, and have
rpm "do the right thing" (don't see that switch there :-)

Doing "rpm -Uvh --replacepkgs *.rpm" is very close to what I'm looking
for in terms of behavior, except it actually reinstalls rpms that are in
the *.rpm list that are already present on the system.  I just want it to
skip rpms that don't need updating (ala Freshen) while still being
smart enough to install new stuff that's not on disk yet.

Anybody know of any combination of rpm options that does this ?

Thanks...