Need help with PXE/NFS install

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Mon Jun 21 22:21:38 UTC 2004

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Mike Cotton wrote:

>So - I believe that I am using the correct pxeboot initrd.img file.
>Should I need to create the file tree, or can I use the iso's?  I think
>that may be where the problem lies?

You can do either, but if you "explode" the install tree ensure that you
follow the directions in README-en, specifically:

 If you are setting up an installation tree for NFS, FTP, or HTTP
 installations, you must copy the RELEASE-NOTES files and all files
 from the RedHat directory on all Installation CD-ROMs. On Linux and
 UNIX systems, the following process will properly configure the
 /target/directory on your server (repeat for each disc):

    1. Insert CD-ROM
    2. mount /mnt/cdrom
    3. cp -a /mnt/cdrom/RedHat /target/directory
    4. cp /mnt/cdrom/RELEASE-NOTES* /target/directory (Installation CD 1
       only)
    5. umount /mnt/cdrom

I don't think this is causing the kernel panic though - if anaconda
can't find any storage it should just complain and prompt for more
drivers, rather than fall over.

Cheers,
Phil