Need help with PXE/NFS install

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Tue Jun 22 06:32:58 UTC 2004

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Mike Cotton wrote:

>label test
>    kernel test/vmlinuz
>    append initrd=test/initrd.img   ramdisk_size=10000
>    append ksdevice=eth0 ks=nfs:10.0.0.2/export2/ESv.3/10.0.0.162-kickstart

That might not work - try putting all the "append ..." items on a single
line. Where did "ramdisk_size=10000" come from? Try taking it out. For
comparison:

$ cat pxelinux.cfg/default
label ks
  kernel vmlinuz
  append ks=nfs:10.10.10.10:/export/redhat/rhel3/kickstart/mdb/ initrd=initrd.img

which works for me.

>The NFS share is /share/ESv.3 and has the 4 .iso's in it and also has each
>of the 4 disks uncompressed as folders called disk1, disk2, etc...

As per previous mail, there's a certain way the "exploded" file tree has
to be constructed. I suspect the disk{1,2,3,4} directories are being
ignored.

>Ok - the strange part is that if I remove the append ksdevice.... line
>out of the 0A0000A2 file - anaconda will start the installer and load
>the megaraid driver and drop me at the interactive start screen.

(BTW, suggest fetching latest syslinux package - it doesn't require the
16-bit packed filenames ("0A0000A2"), but permits more human-readable
alternatives.)

I wouldn't conclude anything from landing at the options screens -
typically anaconda, in the absence of a kickstart file, will throw you
to the interactive menus without a whisper. Check the other VTs (Alt+F2,
Alt+F3 etc.) for interesting-looking error messages.

Cheers,
Phil