offer multiple partitioning options

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Mon Mar 1 15:47:07 UTC 2004

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 James_Martin at ao.uscourts.gov wrote:

>I'm going to making a single cd distribution of Red Hat with a reduced
>number of packages.  The CD will have a kickstart file on it that will
>configure all of the options except:
>
>networking
>partitioning
>

>I want the ananconda to prompt the user for the networking information

I think there's a "ask all unanswered questions" option to recent
kickstarts (untested).

>but I also want it to prompt the user for the partitioning layout;
>however, instead of having the user partition the system by hand, I want
>him to be able to select from a menu
>
>a) partition scheme A
>b) partition scheme B
>c) partition scheme C
>

>I know it is possible to do this by modifying the anaconda source, but I
>would rater not do that.  I think there is a way to do this in %pre, and
>have the ks file re-generate itself with the correct partitioning
>statments based on the user's input.

The trend for this level of customization seems to be the use of dialog
for the user interaction in %pre, then to rewrite the kickstart file or
use %include in some way, e.g. "%include /tmp/ks-partition.inc" (again,
untested).

Cheers,
Phil