Making a Kick Start CD (Enterprise Linux ES 3)

Mac McClellan mmcclell at nuskin.com
Thu Mar 4 18:14:09 UTC 2004

OK, I'm getting closer...

I fixed the problem of 'where to run the program'.  Here's what I'm
using:

mkisofs -o /root/new.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat
-no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -R -J -v -T -V "RHEL/3
i386" -A "RHEL/3 i386" /root/isofilesys/

I am able to create the iso image but something else is wrong.

The CD boots and the installation kernel is loaded.  Then I get an
error message:

"The Red Hat Enterprise Linux CD was not found in any of your CDROM
drives. Please insert the Red Hat Enterprise Linux CD and press OK to
retry."

I've checked the CD, it appears to be identical to the original CD
other than the addition of the ks.cfg file.

There are a few 'messages' that pop up when I run the mkisofs command.
There are a few that look like this:

Scanning /root/isofilesys/RedHat/RPMS
Excluded: /root/isofilesys/RedHat/RPMS/TRANS.TBL

And there are a slew of messages that look like this:

Using REDHA000.RPM;1 for
/root/isofilesys/RedHat/RPMS/redhat-config-netboot-0.1.1-19.i386.rpm
(redhat-config-bind-2.0.0-14.noarch.rpm)

I checked the new CD and to see if those files seem ok.  The TRANS.TBL
files are all missing.  I'm not sure what the significance of those
are.

The files that had the 'Using...' message all appear to be there and
correct.

To rule out the kickstart configuration I just run the CD without
invoking kickstart and other than a couple of 'select language' and
'select media' dialog boxes that pop up first, it still hangs at the
same point.

Needless to say, I'm stumped!

Oh, I doubt that it is relevant but I don't have a CD burner on the
Linux box so I just copy the ISO over to my windblows laptop and burn
the CD from there.  I'm assuming that this is not a problem because the
original ISO images downloaded from RedHat were also burned in the same
manner and they work.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Mac

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 11:28:24AM -0700, Mac McClellan wrote:
> purpose:
>
> cp -Rav /mnt/iso/* /root/isofilesys/
>
> I add the ks.cfg file to the root of this new 'filesystem'
>
> Here's the part that fails.  I try to create a new iso image from
that
> new directory structure.  Here's the command I'm trying to use:
>
> mkisofs -o new.iso -b /root/isofilesys/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c
> /root/isofilesys/isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4
> -boot-info-table -R -J -v -T /root/isofilesys/

The argument to -b has to be relative to the root of the filesystem
you
are creating, so use '-b isolinux/isolinux.bin' and it should work.
The
same thing applies to -c, you need '-c isolinux/boot.cat'.

--
Jason Kohles                         A witty saying proves nothing.
email at jasonkohles.com                   -- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)