genhdlist problems under RHEL3

James_Martin at ao.uscourts.gov James_Martin at ao.uscourts.gov
Tue May 25 14:36:50 UTC 2004

Sometimes it helps to read the archives :).  Check out the thread starting
5/13/2004 titled "An error occurred unmounting the CD..."  Basically it
comes down doing a "genhdlist --withnumbers".

I spent a couple days with this.. Red Hat changes things significantly in
RHEL3U2..  Here's basically the steps I had to use.

 genhdlist --withnumbers --hdlist base/hdlist temp_distro/    #i generate
my hdlist in a working directory and then later copy it over to the
directory i turn into an ISO.
export PYTHONDIR=/usr/lib/anaconda
/usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/pkgorder temp_distro/ "" rhe3qu2 > pkgorder.txt
genhdlist  --withnumbers --fileorder pkgorder.txt --hdlist base/hdlist
temp_distro/

After this I copy over the hdlist into the temp_distro/ dir.  I could not
get around doing it twice because of the way my directory structure is set
up, but it only takes a second and works fine.  If you don't do the
pkgorder, anaconda will not pay any attention to depedencies and install
everything in alphabetical order (it really screws things up).

Good luck.

James S. Martin, RHCE
Contractor
Administrative Office of the United States Courts
Washington, DC
(202) 502-2394