RHEL3 and Reiserfs

Michael Grice grice at berbee.com
Mon Nov 1 17:31:25 UTC 2004

Is it possible to use reiserfs during a RHEL3 installation? I believe
you used to be able to get reiserfs during a Red Hat install by booting
with "linux reiserfs". Howerver, I can't get that to work even during
a normal installation. I realise that the reiserfs module is in the
kernel-unsupported package, which probably has a lot to do with it.

Initially I thought you could do it with a pre-installation script (i.e.,
create the root partition as reiserfs before beginning the install and
make sure the installation doesn't format it). But when I go to a shell
prompt during the install there is no mkfs.reiserfs.

Anyone out there have a way of adding reiserfs during installation without
adding or recreating reiserfs filesystems with a post-installation
script? That doesn't seem to be terribly convenient for filesystems
like /usr.

Thanks,

Michael