Logging?

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Mon Nov 22 16:15:36 UTC 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Chris Mckenzie wrote:

>Does anyone have any suggestions on handling kickstart installation
>failure logging? If a kickstart succeeds in installing, I know because
>my post script runs. If it fails, either within the middle of the ks
>process or fails to run my post script, the system will reboot without
>pausing to let me know what the problem was.

It will? If anaconda terminates abnormally the system usually will print
something to the screen then prompt to reboot, I thought.

>Any ideas? I'd like to append my post script logging to whatever
>existing kickstart logging may exist.

If debugging then you could follow along on VT3 to watch the %post
script(s) stdout and stderr. If you mean logging of anticipated
failures, then IIRC there's a syslog output file left in /root or /tmp,
which I'd expect would be accessed via the usual API (syslog(3) or
logger(1)).

Cheers,
Phil