Adding packages for Fedora Core 3 kickstart install...

James Wigdahl james at wigdahl.com
Mon Nov 22 18:05:29 UTC 2004

Can anyone speak to adding/updating packages to the base install tree
for Fedora Core 3 / FC3 ? I've read a bit on doing this for FC1, but
some things seem to have changed enough that the available
"documentation" on this is more or less broken.

I have tried myself by taking the following steps:

* adding a package to the RPMS directory (just starting with one until
I get the process figured out)

* creating a new group in the comps.xml file with the package listed.
this portion appears to be documented correctly

* running genhdlist with this command:

/usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/genhdlist --withnumbers --productpath Fedora
$BASE

where $BASE is the directory containing my "Fedora" directory...

This seems to work, until the point in the kickstart process where the
file "Fedora/base/comps.rpm" is loaded (in my case via HTTP) and
anaconda experiences an unrecoverable error and terminates the install
process (unmounting all filesystems as if it were shutting down). I've
looked through all the virtual consoles for any type of explanation as
to what the problem is, but there's no pertinent information as to what
might be the problem.

* So I resorted to updating the comps.rpm file with this command:

rpmbuild -bb --quiet --target i386 \
     --define "basedir ${BASE}/Fedora/base" \
     --define "compsversion 3" \
     --define "_rpmdir /tmp" \
     /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/comps-fedora.spec

This process succeeds and I placed the resulting comps.rpm file in
$BASE/Fedora/base and repeat my kickstart process only to find it
chokes again when it loads my new comps.rpm, again with no pertinent
error information on any of the virtual consoles.

Can anyone offer assistance/direction?