Network Kickstart FC2 installation on PXE and NFS

flw flw at zet.zenucom.com
Tue Oct 19 08:42:42 UTC 2004

Dear All,

I tried to set-up a kickstart installation through PXE and NFS.

On the server I have setup the DHCP, TFTP and NFS.

On dhcpd.conf I have set the :
next-server 192.168.20.100 (the dhcp, tftpd and nfs server).
filename "pxelinux.0"

On the /tftpboot, I moved the /tftpboot/linux-install content to /tftpboot
basically the moved file is pxelinux.0 and the pxelinux.cfg directory.

I have placed on the /tftpboot the vmlinuz and initrd.img from FC2
CD No1  (/images/pxeboot/*) .

To test the system I am putting this in the /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default

label install
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=initrd.img
IPAPPEND 1

With this configuration, the client is booting OK, pick up the dynamic IP
address from DHCP, start the vmlinuz and initrd.img,
start the text based installation from /sbin/loader OK.
Then I choose to get the install tree from NFS server 192.168.20.100
with directory /tftpdboot/fc2.  The installation then goes to windows
interactive mode, and I can install FC2 till its completion OK.

Now I want to use the Kickstart, so I changed the
/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default
file to this:

label install
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=initrd.img ks=nfs:192.168.20.100:/tftpboot/fc2/ks.cfg
IPAPPEND 1

I generate the ks.cfg using the GUI Kickstart configurator.

With this configuration during startup, the client load vmlinuz and
initrd.img OK.
then it goes to /sbin/loader and stops there.

On the server I could not see that the NFS request ever being made by
the client.

I have put different flags like netowork ksdevice, etd on the
/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default
file to no avail.

Can anybody help please.
Do I need to create a specific initrd.img with NFS enable?  If yes how
do I do it.  Thanks.

FL. Wahidin