Kickstart error on RHEL 3 v3 install

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Wed Oct 27 21:42:24 UTC 2004

Please don't post HTML to mailing lists.

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Williams, James - Memphis, TN - Contractor wrote:

>I'm using kickstart to jump a compaq evo (1.7Ghz cpu, 256 ram, ide hard
>drive) with server config.
>it partitions fine and begins the package install, however it gives err
>hwdata-0.101.12-1 package can't be opened missing file and will not
>continue the install.

You did check the file is actually there? Does an interactive (i.e.
non-kickstart) install behave the same way? Do other packages install OK
prior to hwdata?

>I used tar to copy files from cdrom to the install directory so the
>.discinfo file was copied.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Any reason to use tar? "README-en" on the first CD describes the
recommended way to create an install tree, although I can't think of any
reason it shouldn't work (if the files end up in the right place...)

Cheers,
Phil