Segfaults on kickstart

Kai Blin blin at na.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Oct 28 10:46:42 UTC 2004

On Friday 22 October 2004 13:00, Philip Rowlands wrote:
[...]
> >kickstart file from the nfs server, and after that it dies.
>
> Segfaults on a single machine smells strongly of bad hardware. I'd
> consider running Hitachi's DFT [1], cpuburn [2] and memtest86+ [3].

I thought I had the error when DFT gave me a hard disk  error, but even
replacing the whole box with another box with the same hardware setup didn't
help. The same segfault at the same step in the kickstart.
As that system check fine on all of the tests, I think I can rule out a
hardware problem.

> >I'm currently checking the hardware on this box, but is there any way
> >to get some more debugging information from kickstart?
>
> How does it die? Can you use the bash session on VT2?

No, after it segfaults, the system goes down. I can't access the bash session.
Looking at the log in VT3, the last thing it says is:

[snip]
* doing kickstart... setting it up
* url is : <path to kickstart file>
* file location: <nfs URI to kickstart file>

After that it's dead.

The log on VT4  shows some dhcp info and correcty recognizes the net
conncection speed.

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin, Sysop
Dept. of Numerical Analysis, University of Tübingen, Germany