Kivckstart vis USB cdrom

Gerald Waugh gwaugh at frontstreetnetworks.com
Sat Apr 16 16:37:33 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 17:02 +0100, Philip Rowlands wrote:
> Sounds like:
> - The BIOS is using the CD drive correctly as a boot device.
> - ISOLINUX is discovering the kernel and initrd properly
> - The kernel doesn't realise, unless triggered by the hot-plug, that the
> cdrom is what you mean by ks=cdrom
>
> At a guess, either try ks=/dev/scd?? if the drive shows up as a SCSI
> device, or see if there's are kernel USB/CD/SCSI options which can be
> passed in with ks=cdrom to influence the probe.

Thanks for the reply;
I booted the server (running with a previous install) with a regular CD
in the usb cdrom. the OS recognizes the cdrom as /dev/scd0.
It is in /etc/fstab as
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrecorder auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

Yet if I use "ks=/dev/scd0" I get;
Then I get "Error opening kickstart file (null): Bad Address"

It seems as though the BIOS is possibly not releasing the connection to
the usb cdrom, so it is busy? Which might explain why pulling the plug
and reinserting it works?

Gerald