trying to setup for a remote installation

dan info at hostinthebox.net
Fri Apr 29 16:14:18 UTC 2005

bruce wrote:
> phill....
>
> thanks for the followup/being patient... initially, i'd like to be able to
> walk through the entire process from a remote system. thus the need for/use
> of vnc.
>
> i was hoping that i could somehow reboot the remote server, and have vnc pop
> up on my server/vnc window, allowing me to select the various attributes of
> the remote Fedora install on the remote machine...
>
> this would allow me to be able to do a manual remote install of Fedora,
> using VNc..
>
> the reason i wanted to do this, is to allow me to check out the drive
> configuration, and to determine what apps i wanted to select at the
> beginning...
>
> if this isn't possible, then i guess the next step would be to create a
> kickstart file, and somehow do the install that way.
>
> the machine wil be booting off a harddrive. once i get the machine up, i
> could then always use yum to keep it updated...
>

> thanks
>
> -bruce

Bruce -

Are you able to get your hands on another machine that you can test
with, or even VMWare, from which you can load a virtual machine for
testing?  This is a step I always take.  In fact, I've been doing
kickstarts with varying success for ~2 years, and I've still not been
able to muster the manhood to attempt a total remote installation such
as the one that you're asking.

I'd highly suggest testing the remote install method on a machine which
you can just fool around with, before going about the real thing.

Thanks
-dant