Multiple LUNs (scsi_mod) and RHEL4

Jason White jason at jw2.org
Thu Aug 11 21:55:31 UTC 2005

I'm trying to kickstart a machine, and partition disks on 3 fibre
attached LUNs (lpfc/emulex), but the installer only sees the first one
(/dev/sda), and not the other two (/dev/sdb, /dev/sdc)

Out of the box, the RHEL4 initrd is configured to only discover a
single scsi LUN.  In order to fix this, you have to use a custom
initrd:

# echo "options scsi_mod max_luns=xx" >> /etc/modprobe.conf
# mkinitrd -f
# reboot
(where xx > 1)

This works fine *after* the box is installed, but is there a way to
make this work during the kickstart install?  I tried using some %pre
scripts, but it didn't work:

---ks.cfg---
%pre
rmmod scsi_mod
modprobe scsi_mod max_luns=128
%post
echo "options scsi_mod max_luns=255" >> /etc/modprobe.conf
mkinitrd -f -v
---ks.cfg---