Installing image via PXE

Uwe E. Bilger uwelists at u-b.de
Sat Aug 20 09:36:53 UTC 2005

Hello,

I'm not sure whether I'm mailing to the correct list. Please, after
taring and feathering, point me to a correct list, in case I'm wrong.

I would like to install, or maybe better transfer?, an image, which I
created with dd, from a server to the client via pxe. I know that
there is a bunch of OSS out there doing a great job administering a
bunch of images for server farms, etc. That's too complex. I only have
three machines with three different snapshot images, which I would
like to transfer back for recovery purposes in an automated manner.

I /can/ set up a kickstart installation over pxe. I'm wondering if the
pxe kernel has options or something like that to simply transfer an
image to the target machine, instead of kicking off a kickstart
installation.

I'm familiar with basic pxe installation procedures, coming from
redhat's (fedora's) kickstart routine, so I don't need to know those
basics which can be found in documentation as well. Just the step of:
don't want to use kickstart, just want to use an image.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Uwe