disabling dhcp for eth1 in kernel

Lloyd T Brown somewhere_or_other at byu.edu
Thu Aug 25 15:16:43 UTC 2005

Well, sort of.  The idea is to have the kickstart be fully remote and
non-interactive, so going up there to physically disconnect one of the
interfaces doesn't really solve the problem, since I could just as
easily go up there to put a static IP into the dialog box.  I just want
to avoid going up there at all.

Unfortunately, the network architecture here is a little strange, and it
precludes me from supplying a DHCP address for eth1 like I do for eth0.
It has to do with the DHCP server's eth1 (same physical segment as the
node's eth1) having two VLANs attached to it with separate static IP
addresses and custom MTUs.  So, without being able to attach the eth1
address to at least one of those VLAN numbers, and set the MTU, all
before the ks.cfg file is retrieved, there doesn't seem to be a way of
using DHCP for my solution.  Unfortunately, as I said before, this
network architecture is out of my control, so I just have to figure it out.

Some of our nodes have Platform Rocks on them, though, and they somehow
do the very thing I'm trying.  I can't figure out how they do it,
though.  If anyone can point me the right direction for that
investigation, that'd be great too.

Thanks,
Lloyd