Mass Installation

Mike Smith mike at ftl.com
Thu Aug 25 22:55:13 UTC 2005

Lambert Tran wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>Thanks in advance for all info.
>Our task is to install many workstations from a handcrafted system. This is
>basically a automated cloning job. We prefer not to use DHCP. This task was
>done fairly easy when we used Solaris, and HPUX (I had JumpStart, and Ignite
>setup).
>While I think KickStart could do the same thing, I am not sure how easy it
>could be setup. Any thoughts on unforeseen problems? BTW, we will use RedHat4
>(both AS and ES).
>
>Thanks,
>-ltran

 Just curious why you wouldn't want to use DHCP.

 We are a mixed shop with RedHat, Solaris and HPUX, and we do all of
ours via DHCP. Our only obsticle was with some old E420's that didn't
have PROM 3.25 or greater. This was needed to allow jumpstarts to happen
across subnets. After we did that and set up the 'helpers' on the cisco
gear, we have it nailed down to a single jumpstart server and a single
dhcp server, thus doing away for a BOOTP server on each subnet.

 The ip's we are serving are static ip's. DHCP is ONLY used for
re-jumping/igniting/kickstarting.

 If you need some more info, let me know.

 - Mike

 Basically we