echo and logging in %post

Jason Kohles email at jasonkohles.com
Wed Dec 14 13:50:46 UTC 2005

On 12/14/05, Ingo Jochim <i.jochim at querysoft.de> wrote:

> Hopefully you can help on this.
>
> I'm doing a kickstart installation on Fedora Core 4.
> I like to install some additional packages in the %post part of kickstart.
>
> I like to create a new file and want to write something into it.
> Here is my code:
> echo $RANDOM > "/root/ID"
>
> The result in the file is always fine.
> But the new file name is strange to me.
> If I do a "ls -l" I get "ID?" displayed.
> If I just write the beginning of the file and use the TAB-key then I get
> "ID^M".

You are creating your kickstart configuration in a windows/dos text editor,
and it has windows line endings, rather than unix ones.  Either use a text
editor that can save with unix line endings, or use something like the
dos2unix command  after you create it, or FTP it in text mode to your server
before using it.  You need to do something to get rid of the extra ^M at the
end of every line in your ks.cfg.

--
Jason Kohles
email at jasonkohles.com - http://www.jasonkohles.com/