Kickstart file not being found on mirrored disk

Prasanna Ponnada prasanna at aol.net
Tue Dec 20 14:24:40 UTC 2005

I have a machine setup that does RAID level 1 mirroring.
I create a kickstart config file and modify grub.conf such that it
points to my vmlinuz, initrd and kickstart files.
My kickstart, vmlinuz and initrd files are in the /boot directory.

Filesystem layout:
# df
Filesystem           1K-blocks     Used             Available     Use%
Mounted on
/dev/md0             30233808    761376          27936624    3%     /
none                   1990496         0   1990496   0% /dev/shm
#cat /etc/fstab
/dev/md0                       /                             ext3
defaults                                              1 1
none                              /dev/pts                 devpts
gid=5,mode=620                               0 0
none                              /dev/shm               tmpfs
defaults                                                0 0
none                              /proc                      proc
defaults                                                0 0
none                              /sys                        sysfs
defaults                                                0 0
/dev/cciss/c0d0p3      swap                      swap
defaults                                                 0 0
/dev/hda                       /media/cdrom      auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/fd0                       /media/floppy      auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

vmlinuz and initrd files are detected fine and my machine boots up fine
until it fails to find the kickstart file.
After that the loader prompts me to input values.

Please find the extract from my grub.conf below:
/etc/grub.conf entry:
--------------------------
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-AS4.0-x86_84 ks='hd:md0:/boot/ks.cfg' ro root=/dev/md0
initrd /boot/initrd-AS4.0-x86_64.img

Please find the display on tty1 below:
* getting kickstart file
* getting kickstart file from harddrive
* getFileFrom BlockDevice(md0, /ks.cfg)
* failed to mount /dev/md0: Invalid argument
* trying to mount CD device hda

I understand that the "partition" information that I am specifying in my
path to ks is wrong.
However, I tried various other options but cannot seem to get it right
at all.
Any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Prasanna