Kickstart fails with multiple ethernet adapters

dadembro at rockwellcollins.com dadembro at rockwellcollins.com
Thu Jan 6 00:21:57 UTC 2005

I hope someone can provide some insight with the following problem.

I have several duplicate systems I am trying to use a kickstart file to
setup with redhat version 9.
One of the systems has an additional ethernet adapter and this one fails to
use the kickstart file
which all the other systems accept.

Sample kickstart command:

linux ks=http://199.0.0.100/kickstart/u_ios_ks.cfg ip=199.0.0.5
netmask=255.255.255.0

this works for all the systems except the one with two network adapters.

linux ks=http://199.0.0.100/kickstart/u_ios_ks.cfg ip=199.0.0.5
netmask=255.255.255.0 ksdevice=eth0

also fails, however,

linux ks=hd:fd0/u_ios_ks.cfg ksdevice=eth0

works.  Somehow the same kickstart file is read via floppy diskette but not
over the network.  Can
anyone explain what is going on?  I am tempted on just using the floppy for
now.

Thanks,
---d.dembrow